Friday, November 29, 2019

closing the Mastercard $MA position


6Dec - closed out this position, felt like I had it on for longer but after entering all the trades into my spreadsheet today I see it was only about 10 days. to recap:

- I sold a 282.50 put and an upside call credit spread for added premium... I was calling this a defined risk strangle, the Tastytrade crew calls this a Jade Lizard. I will not be calling this a Jade Lizard,. im going to go with a Poor Mans Strangle (copyright pending... not.)
- I took some profits on the call spread and resold another call spread at lower strikes to bring in some more premium.
- closed the entire position on 6 dec with stock near 290... let me quote what I wrote below:

 "profit target will be between 25-50% of max profit. I've been tooting the horn of the Tastytrade videos I've come across recently that have greatly improved my entries and exits, so here is a good video on when to exit Tastytrade video "

-so after doing the spreadsheet entries im at a .96 profit on this which is near 50% ish of max profit. in hindsight the call spread adjustment down was not needed to salvage the win. to emphasize...objective is not to tie up buying power by taking the trade to expiration but instead to book profits in the 25-50% range and do that repeatedly with that same buying power. im staying small lot quantity until my comfort level is higher since this is new methodology for me so granted its not a large dollar winner but as comfort level increased so does lot size.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3Dec - as posted on Twitter I closed out the call credit spread portion of this position at .16 as stock was selling off with rest of market, even went below the put spread. still had some time before opex so didn't need to adjust the short put. later on in afternoon I resold a call credit spread at lower strikes bringing in additional premium, sold the dec13 295/300 call credit spread for .85 credit, 23delta of the 295 call. the 295 level would be a new high for the stock, of course after hours Mastercard announces the buyback approval and dividend raise and stock pops 4-5bucks. taking in more premium via the credit spread lowers my downside breakeven to near 280. see where we are at next week to either exit position or roll the short call if needed

.

going to keep using the Defined Risk Strangle name for this 3leg trade. selling a strangle benefits from 2 things, time decay and a drop in the volatility of the stock. so putting this on with high volitivity gives you a very high probability of profit. a legit strangle for this would have been sell the 282.50 and sell the 300 call. that would have brought in about $2.79 in premium for a one lot. the part of a strangle I'm not comfortable with is the undefined upside risk. I'm ok with downside risk since its essentially a cash secured put sale and I'm ok owning the stock if necessary. so to mitigate the upside risk sell a call credit spread, the 300/302.50. yes it reduces my credit but caps the upside loss.

total credit received was $2.06. without adjustment if stock moves higher than 302.50 at opex my max loss is just 44 cents (300/302.50 is $2.50 wide. the $2.50 minus the $2.06 received is 44cents)

receiving the $2.06 lowers the downside breakeven as well to 280.44 at opex without adjustments. 14days till opex and best case stock moves sideways, volatility comes down and position loses value (profits as in buy back cheaper to close). profit target will be between 25-50% of max profit. I've been tooting the horn of the Tastytrade videos I've come across recently that have greatly improved my entries and exits, so here is a good video on when to exit Tastytrade video


new Mastercard entry $MA (defined risk strangle). sold Dec14 282.50 put near 1.65ish, sold 300/302.50 call credit spread at .45ish. total credit 2.06. puts delta 22, calls delta 21. breakevens at 280.44 / 302.06 at opex

No comments:

Post a Comment