Friday, November 1, 2019

$AAPL ratio spread for earnings -comments

if youre following my Apple trades on twitter you saw my posts about entering into this weeks 245-250 call ratio spread (buy 1 245 call/ sell 2 250 calls) for credit. this is on top of deep in the money (DITM) calls 2021 200calls.

historically I undershoot the range that the stock moves. for this ratio the profit range is 245-255 with max profit at 250. I closed one 245 call and one 250 call after earnings and rolled the remaining 250call to next weeks 252.50 short call for slight credit. so the "position" is still a winner despite todays +$7 move in the stock closing out of the ratio profit range if I would have held to opex at 255.82. the big winner is that the underlying DITM call (2021 200 call) increases in value. the ratio spread was just gravy to this position and I came out the other side with at 252.50 call and the stock being up about 12 since entering the ratio spread. no a bad problem to have. consensus on CNBC seems to be that the market has come too far too fast so likely roll the short call sideways or up one strike for credit to take in a bit more premium than usual

my thesis was for an upside move so I also sold the weekly 230 puts for $1.20 credit which expired at max profit. again im ok being put the stock at 230, but realistically I would adjust that short put trade if I was in danger of having to buy the stock. I would not hold the short put to opex. there is almost always a trade adjustment you could do


No comments:

Post a Comment